Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Easy Cottage Cheese Pie

Ya...not as easy as my Aunt had suggested...but, it still tasted good!  It was my first time making a pie!  I am so used to letting butter soften overnight to make cookies, that I didn't realize that butter used for pie crust is supposed to be cold. A lesson learned for next time. This didn't affect the flavour of the delicious crust...just the appearance!  Instead of a nice jagged edge, as I had planned for, I ended up with a two inch wide crust.

Ingredients you will need for this recipe:

Topping:
1/2 c. cornflake crumbs or bread crumbs
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Dough:
1/2 c. butter cut in chunks
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sour cream

Filling:
1 lb. dry cottage cheese
2 eggs
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. sour cream
dash of salt
1 tsp lemon juice

Topping:
In Food Processor use steel knife to combine ingredients for topping.  Process until fine and set aside. Rinse bowl. 

Dough:
Process butter, sugar, egg and vanilla for 2 minutes scraping down the sides of bowl once or twice. 
Add remaining ingredients for dough.  Pulse, just until mixed.  Spread dough into bottom and up sides of greased 9'' pie plate with rubber spatula.  (I refrigerated the dough as I went on to prepare the filling.) Wash and dry bowl and blade.

This was the first time I made my own crust. It looked so good before I put it into the oven.


Filling:
Combine all filling ingredients in processor bowl. 


Process until blended. Spread evenly over dough.

Sprinkle with topping.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Serve with sour cream and berries. 
Yield 6 servings. 

I actually prefer to eat this pie cold.  It is delicious!   Let sit for about 2 hours and refrigerate overnight.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Does it taste similar to a cheesecake? I've never heard of cottage cheese pie before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they sell the cottage cheese as
    "dry" , or do you drain it through cheesecloth or strainer? I looked and didn't see any at the store ( I live in California).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! Is it a meal or a dessert? Or both? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know there was such a thing as dry cottage cheese, but the pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cottage cheese I used is called Western Pressed Cottage Cheese. It can be found in the kosher section of the grocery store. Since it is pressed, it does not have to be drained. It is sold similar to a brick of cream cheese as opposed to cottage cheese sold in a plastic tub. It doesn't taste exactly the same as a cheesecake, (not quite as sweet) however, I prefer to eat it as a dessert, but many eat it as a part of a dairy brunch/lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok...this is right up my alley....this looks de-lish, and if I can find "dry cottage cheese" in my little ole town I'll give it a try and send ya a picture. PS... your proposal on bakerella was SO precious.

    ReplyDelete