Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Candy Sushi with Riley


She may just be the most beautiful 3 year old I know, (okay, I might a little biased since she is the daughter of one of my best friends), but, Riley was the best helper and made some sweet and delicious candy sushi with Carly, her mom Julia, and I, last week. 

Since many of my friends and I are teachers, March Break is a great time to spend time together and hang out. When Carly mentioned that she made candy sushi with her sister and that she also recently made it at a bridal shower, I thought it would be the most perfect blog post for Riley to help us with!  My girlfriend Julia, (Riley's mom), was also very excited!  All in all, it was a great morning spent together! 

Just look at that look on Riley's face as she gathered all of the candy that would be used to make the candy sushi!

For the base of the roll, we used fruit by the foot.  Cut one roll into four even pieces and layer to form a square. For the sushi rice, we used Rice Krispies Treats cut in half and flattened.

Select any candy of your choice for the filling (longer items work best). 
Some possibilities might include:
-kit kat
-gummy worms
-licorice
-nibs
-chocolate covered fingers

Cut 2 Rice Krispies Treats in half, horizontally.  Flatten out all four pieces.
Look at those little hands at work!

Lay overtop of fruit by the foot "mat."  Choose a filling. 

Roll it up Riley!  So focussed and so hard at work!
What a great job!

Onto the next type of "shushi" as she called it! 
She loved adding the fondant rectangles to the top of the "rice." 

The best part...dipping the sushi into the chocolate sauce.

"Shhhh...don't tell anyone that I ate a piece of shushi before lunch!"

How could anyone resist!

Mmm...all packed up and ready for takeout.


Without even planning it, the Nib filled rolls looked like happy faces!

SMILE!
Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Can I Get an order of tempura nib roll please!

    Looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so delicious.... both the sushi and Riley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a sweet idea! I love sushi, and I think this would be a fun way to introduce my daughter to the idea of it when she's older :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable and super yummy looking...love the choc sauce too! Great idea! Love your blog! I'm a follower now! Found you via POM's Connect MEme Monday as someone recommended your blog...hope you can participate this Monday!

    http://thepursuitofmommyness.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Riley is precious and the sushi looks yummy! Wonderful activities to introduce children to!
    You're a teacher through and through, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What a great idea, this would be fun to do for a kids party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cool idea. Very innovative! Sweet job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary said...
    OK I need to do this for my girls!! Amazing idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy said...
    I have never seen anything so different and cute and yummy.

    ReplyDelete