Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Meringues

There's nothing like an airy meringue! When it touches your tongue, the sugar dissolves and tastes so sweet! 

Beat egg whites, pinch of salt, sugar and vanilla.  Add colors if desired. 

Pipe onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 225 degrees for about an hour or until outer shell is dry.

Leave oven door open and let cool on racks.

Arrange on a platter.

Store remaining meringues in an air tight container.

Meringues
4 egg whites (at room temperature)
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg chocolate chips

1. Add salt to egg whites and beat with electric mixer until it stands in soft peaks.  Add sugar until incorporated.

2. Add vanilla (or any other extract) and continue beating until stiff peaks form, but do not overbeat.

3. Add food coloring (if desired).

4. Add chocolate chips and mix by hand (optional).

5. This recipe suggests using a teaspoon to spoon onto parchment lined baking sheet, however, I like to use a disposable piping bag with or without a tip.  This time I used Wilton star tip #1M and followed the technique demonstrated in the link above.

6. Preheat oven and bake at 225 degrees until outside is dry but inside is still chewy (about an hour).  Do not remove from the oven at once, but turn off heat and open door and leave them in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool away from drafts.

7. Store in tightly covered container, e.g. cookie tin.

Yield: About 60 piped meringes.

9 comments:

  1. Natalie said...
    They look delicious, mel! what r u doing w/ 60 meringues? i hope you are having guests over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE meringues! I piped mine to look like bunnies lying down. Saw it somewhere on the blogosphere last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm from Singapore and I love reading your blog! =) I tried baking the mini cherry cheesecakes today. But sadly, it didn't turn out very well. The top of the cheesecake was slightly burnt and didn't really look like a cheesecake at all. I wonder what I did wrongly. Could you please enlighten me? Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When do you add the sugar? I've always wanted to try making these. thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I forgot to mention sugar in the recipe...that would be helpful wouldn't it?! Please see revised recipe above. Thanks Gale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, good idea! I've just been spooning them out to bake. I should pipe them out next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mel,will the meringues dissolve if you place them onto buttercream icing.It would be nice if I can use it to top the cupcake. I love reading your blog and always admire your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Topping cupcakes with meringues sounds like an original idea! However, since meringues do dissolve quite easily, the moisture from the icing might eat away at them. I would suggest that if you really want to try it, plan on topping the cupcakes almost immediately before serving them. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete