Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Elmo Cookies

I did it! Thanks to Sweet Sugarbelle who made a video tutorial showing how to decorate sugar cookies without using a fancy tracing projector, I made these cute Elmo and number 2 cookies. 

In this post, I will walk you through the steps to making more challenging cookies, minus the fancy projector.  (In the future, however, I may invest in a Kopykake projector.)

Items you will need for this project:
-sugar cookies
-printed image(s) of Elmo and the number 2
-black edible ink pen
-royal icing
-#1 Wilton piping tip
-squeeze bottles
-toothpicks

Bake sugar cookies and let cool. Print an image of Elmo onto cardstock and cut out around the face. (I found this image on Sugar Envy's Flicker photo stream.) Cut out mouth and poke holes around nose with a toothpick. Place printed image onto cookie and trace around Elmo's face with an edible ink pen to create the border. Since I was going to pipe the outline black, I used a black edible ink pen. Always try to match the color of ink to the colour you will pipe as the border.

Next, trace the mouth and the dots of the nose.
When the dots are connected and the eyes are joined, the face begins to take shape.

Next, pipe the drawn image with black royal icing using a number #1 Wilton Piping tip. (I used a #2 tip in the pictures. In retrospect, I think that a #1 tip would have been better.) Fill in the mouth with the same black icing. Repeat steps for remaining Elmo cookies. Let set and dry overnight.

The next day, flood the face with red royal icing. Use a toothpick to spread the icing into corners or hard to get to areas on the face. For the recipe that I use to make royal icing, click here.

Flood the nose with orange royal icing and the eyes with white royal icing. Let dry overnight. 

Use a black edible ink pen to draw and colour in the eyeballs.

Ta Da!

For the number 2 cookies above, print the number 2 image onto cardstock. Cut out, trace onto cookie and pipe with royal icing. Let dry overnight. Flood with coloured icing and let dry overnight.

The Lexie cookies were first outlined with black royal icing. The next day they were flooded with coloured royal icing and left to dry overnight. On the third day, the names were piped on top.
Happy Birthday Lexie!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
Happy decorating,
Melissa ;)

12 comments:

  1. Cute cookies! That's so creative with outlining and they turned out perfect. I bet Lexie was thrilled when she saw them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are beautiful!! i feel so inspired.. I've never tried flood cookies before, but after seeing this I think i just might! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I'm with you on the outlining - I used a #2 recently, and wish I had a #1 instead. Love the Elmo cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super job on all the cookies. Lexie must have been tickled pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I love how vibrant your colors are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable. I have close to zero piping skills but I love that you use an edible pen to outline them! Do you know where exactly I could find one of those? We don't have many resources up here in Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this edible ink pen at Michael's. I know that many bakers in the United States suggest Americolor Gourmet Writing Pens that are available on Amazon.
    Hope this helps,
    Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWE! Thanks Melissa! I didnt have a KopyKaker for the first year and a half. When I got it, I could have kicked myself for not getting it sooner! It makes things go SO much faster!!!

    But I have to tell you. My friend Vicki told me her hubby somehow rigged up a projector that projected dirently from her computer...I want to know MORE!!! thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Son's birthday is in a month and I am soo doing this cookies, TY so much for the inspiration, the detailed, picture directions, recipes,tips and hints.

    To get that red without the bitterness I am assuming u used color paste, am I right or is there another food coloring medium that is better?

    Not many ppl will share details like this, ur cookies are amazing-thanks again for inspiring me, I will send u pics when I make them, I hope they look as good as urs at least I know they will taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I was just wondering on the consistency of the cookies. Since you have to leave them out so much to dry, do they harden up a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anybody have good advice on making black royal icing? Last time I had to add a LOT of icing color to it and it gave it a strange consistency and taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cookies. Thanks for tutorial.

    ReplyDelete