Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vanilla Valentine's Day Cupcakes

Whoo! Snack is back for the staff at my school!  For all of you non-teachers, Friday's are FAT at most schools...we like to call them "Fat Fridays"...you know, treat day. At morning recess, the staff meet in the staffroom to schmooze over food and treats! 

Since I was on treats this week, I chose to make Valentine's Day cupcakes for my colleagues to enjoy. This time I made simple vanilla cupcakes with three kinds of frosting: pink buttercream, white cream cheese frosting and delicious chocolate buttercream frosting, (see recipe below) all topped with heart sprinkles.  The same heart sprinkles that I used for the eyes of my Valentine's Day Cake Pops!

I was inspired by tags created by Bakerella, and by Melissa, from Domesticated Lady.

I know, I need to get a circle punch!  When I made Duff's Cake Pops with tags, Nancy suggested that I buy some circle punches.  Haven't gotten around to it yet Nancy! Scissors did the trick, yet again this time!

I glued the tags onto some red popsicle sticks that I bought at Dollarama.

How cute!

Love the "Valentine, I think you're...WILD" tags!

Ghirardelli Chocolate Buttercream Frosting 
(Warning...this is sinful!)

6 tbsp butter softened
2-2/3 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

In bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.  In a separate bowl, mix icing sugar with cocoa.  Blend sugar mixture with butter alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.  Beat until smooth.  Blend in vanilla.
(Frosts tops and sides of two, 9" layers.)

For other Valentine's Day ideas check out these posts:

Happy Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

  1. Love it! But...why doesn't MY school have FAT FRIDAYS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's why my teacher friends are always happy on Fridays - and I thought they were just happy that the week was over. I love how they are consumed during morning recess too. :)

    The cupcakes look great! If I was a teacher at your school, I would have went straight for the cream cheese icing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W O W

    amazing photographs! your pictures are getting better and better (and they look more and more like Bakerella's style :D )

    how did you take these? did you use scrapbook paper like Bakerella?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos of some great looking cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies! Lighting makes such a difference when taking pictures. I took these shots during the day and they turned out pretty well. On another note, I actually made the paper! I got a great cardboard ad from Holt Renfrew in the shape of a heart and I used it at a stencil. I traced it onto red and pink pieces of cardstock and placed the hearts over white paper to make it look like scrapbooking paper. For the background, I used red and pink cardstock.
    Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love your presentation, as always Mel.

    ReplyDelete